About Me

Sewing, Painting, and Baking, Oh My!

Hi!  My name is Melissa.  Welcome!  I am a lawyer by day and a quilter by night [and weekend].  I live in the Raleigh area in North Carolina with my husband and children.  I started this blog to share about my sewing, quilting, and crafting.



My grandmother was an avid seamstress and quilter, but she passed away far too young after a courageous battle with breast cancer.  Sadly, she is not here to see how my creativity has blossomed (if I do say so myself) but I know she would be so proud.



I learned to sew and quilt five years ago.  My best friend is an experience sewist who had years of quilting experience under her belt when she taught me.  


I wanted to hand-make a quilt for my work mentor at the law firm where I started my career when she was expecting her second child.  I chose a gorgeous charm pack (Fragmental) designed by someone who would eventually become a huge influence for my work, Angela Walters, but I had no idea at the time.  My bestie patiently guided me through layout, using a sewing machine, piecing, pressing, basting, quitting, AND binding this baby quilt.  I am still pretty proud of it because my mentor loved my fabric choices and it was a true labor of love.  She and I are still close friends.




The moment since I finished the last stitch on my very first quilt I was hooked.  I quickly began planning my next project and I haven't stopped since.  To date, I have made 57 quilts, 17 mini projects (quilted pillows, mini quilts, stockings, etc.), 5 quilted bags, and 2 quilt coats.  (I've also worked full-time as a civil litigator, had two children, and enjoyed my sweet husband).











Suffice it to say, I have been pretty busy.  I also enjoy watercolor painting and hand lettering.  I started to dabble in those crafts while I was studying for the bar exam to take blow off some steam.  I grew to love lettering and painting and while I still paint some, I letter more often.  I particularly love to letter sermon notes during church and lettering on my brown craft paper-wrapped Christmas gifts.



I am also a baker [this is the last one, promise ;)]  I started baking cupcakes for my Bible study group when my husband and I first married (almost TEN years ago...wow).  I loved combining creative flavors and learning new recipes.  

                                                 

My sister-in-law asked me to bake for my nephew's first birthday, which was construction site themed.  In her vision, she wanted a fondant cake, which I had never done.  I decided to try it.  I made my own fondant from scratch and the cake turned out pretty okay, all things considered!  


My nephew turns nine this year, and I've made cakes for almost every one of his birthdays, almost all of my niece's birthdays, my children's birthdays, weddings, and for many friends' and family celebrations.





Thanks for reading!  I hope you enjoy my crafting ventures.

-Melissa

Comments

  1. You are such a multi talented woman! Congratulations on your first quilted coat, it is truly amazing ! Normally you would not get such great wearable results from a muslin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Vivian!! I was honestly surprised at how much I like the muslin version too. I'm pretty glad I jazzed it up with some applique to make it more fun.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Making A Quilt Coat: Part Two

Making A Quilt Coat: Part One